ARE YOU LOOKING FOR BARTENDERS?I get this question at least ten times a day now. With each passing week it seems that more and more folks are popping in, looking to be the next "Bryan Flanagan" and make a quick buck slingin' cocktails.
Now I can emphasize the need to make a quick buck, especially with the economy being as bleak as it's been the past year or so. But let's keep it real: just because you saw the movie "Cocktail" doesn't mean you can flip a bottle, let alone make a cocktail.
So imagine my amusement/dismay/frustration when one person after the next waltzes in and asks for a bartending gig. It's one thing when you look at one's resume and you see an extensive list of past bartending gigs on them. It's another thing entirely when you look at someone's resume and it either has one or two GUEST bartending shifts on it, or even worse, no bartending experience on it at all.
Every once in awhile I will actually conduct an impromptu interview with someone just to hear what they have to say. Usually you can tell after five minutes whether or not this person has any experience. The best response I got from the "have you ever bartended?" question has to be the one from a rather buxom brunette from Colorado who said to me: "Well, I've been drunk in enough bars, does that count for anything?". I shit you not.
Let's face it. Bartending is a great way to make some cash, especially in light of the financial climate we face these days. And I can't hate on a person for wanting to be a part of the life. Depending on where you work, it can be a fun way to earn a living. But it isn't as easy as it looks. It really takes a toll on the body in more ways than one and you really need to have not only the skill set to make drinks well (and quick), you also need to have great people skills. The ability to make a drink and banter with the patrons and the patience of Job to be able to deal with unruly drunks. Trust me, it ain't as glamorous as it seems. Good luck in your search.
TONIGHT: Dollar Draft Madness, featuring $1.00 mugs of BUD/BUD LIGHT, all night long!
And don't forget to check out WEDNESDAY NIGHT PUB TRIVIA this Wednesday as we feature our "Oscars" edition of the bar game! It's no cost to enter and you can win some cool (and sometimes quirky) prizes! Fun starts at 8pm!
Nuff Said
1 comment:
I don't know about all that, I was a bartender for years upon years in my youth and I found it to be easy and glamorous.....I mean the ladies do love the bartender!
-Stiffler
Post a Comment