12.15.2009

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"UP IN THE AIR" .... THUMBS UP!


I had the day off yesterday so I took the opportunity to check out the new George Clooney film "Up In The Air" and I have to say, I was pretty impressed. Directed by Jason Reitman ("Juno"), Clooney plays a corporate "ax-man", traveling around the country to do the dirty work of laying off people for corporations who as he puts it, "Don't have the guts to do the dirty work themselves". Along the way, he strikes up a "friends with benefits" relationship with a female traveler (Vera Famiglia), hooking up whenever their travel paths connect. With all of the travel that Clooney does, he also pursues a personal quest: to be the next 10 million mile man; Only six people have ever achieved that lofty goal and with all of his traveling for work, he aims to be the seventh.


On the surface, his life is simple; he literally lives out of a suitcase, with being on the road so much. Most people detest business travel and all that comes for it; he lives for it. It's his bubble, his sanctuary. He loves his job, though I can't imagine loving the role of someone who in essence, is about to ruin your life. Then things take a turn that shakes up his whole routine. I don't want to give away the sub-plots, but I can say that this film is poignant, witty, and strikes a nerve, especially in light of our current economic climate. It also has a great supporting cast, including ANNA KENDRICK and cameos by ZACH GALIFIANAKIS, JASON BATEMAN, J.K. SIMMONS and SAM ELLIOTT.

I was never a big fan of George Clooney but I was pretty impressed with him as well as the film. Lots of dry humor and things that I could relate to. I just heard that "UP IN THE AIR" was announced as a nominee for Best Picture for the Golden Globes; In fact, it led all films with six nominations, and deservedly so. If you haven't done so yet, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

DOLLAR DRAFT MADNESS TONIGHT! $1 Bud/Bud Light mugs ALL NIGHT LONG!


That's It. That's All I Got.

No comments: