4.19.2010

Tuesday, April 20, 2010


PUTTING OUT FIRES...

Sorry for the lack of a post on Monday; I spent the bulk of the afternoon, putting out little fires and dealing with vendors and the bullshit that often comes with it. I won't divulge the name of the specific vendor (but a little bird tells me that it's the same name of the borough that I live in and they peddle something that rhymes with "boors" or "poor", or something like that), but by the time I finished dealing with them that I was too pissed off to write anything. So I let myself cool down and now at 12:11 am, I've finally calmed down enough to blog. Besides, the I had to cool down again after the beating my Canadiens took at the hands of the Washington Capitals, 5-1.

It's only Monday and I've already reached my max of vexed moments for the week.

What I wanted to talk about was how busy this week was going to be in relation to sports (and of course, everyone knows that sports is my thing). There the NHL and NBA playoffs taking place all week long; The Mets opened up a 10-game homestand on Monday vs the Chicago Cubs, while the Yankees began a 9-game West Coast swing. Tuesday/Wednesday features the semi-finals of the Champions League (Barcelona vs Inter Milan on Tuesday and Bayern Munich vs Lyon on Wednesday). Then there's the NFL Draft on Thursday night (primetime).

A lot going on and we'll do our best to bring it all to you.

And now, without further ado, the night in pictures...










And finally...

Women say and do the darndest things. For example, on Saturday, THE RUNNING MAN and I were having a conversation. The bar had just opened for the day when this young lady burst into the bar and this mini-exchange took place:

RUNNING MAN: "Can I help you?"

WOMAN: "Can I get a shot?"

RUNNING MAN: "A shot of what?"

WOMAN: "Um... a shot of vodka. In fact, make it a double. Quick."

The RUNNING MAN and I looked at each other, then at her and I, of course, had to ask the question that was begging to be asked.

"Is this shot for something physical, mental or emotional?"

She laughed and explained to us that she was about to get a "Brazilian" and needed to prepare for it. By doing shots! Who does that? And more importantly, who shares that kind of info to the likes of us? She then told us that maybe if we're lucky, she'll come back and show us the final product. (she didn't, of course). Not a bad way to start the day!

Then on Sunday night, I was bartending and had a small, yet lively group of patrons, many of them stranded European tourists, looking for something to do. So while they hung out and did tons of Sambuca shots (I probably sold more Sambuca in one night than I have in six months), I had a small group of females sitting in the middle of the bar, doing the girl talk thing. One of the girls in particular had a distinct look about her. She's been in the bar before, so I recognized her for that; however, she at a quick glance, looked a lot like the actress, Kate Hudson.

So during a lull in the action, I made it a point of telling her just that. She giggled and said that she got that comparison a lot. The conversation then turned to the cast on her arm, which was filled with signatures. She asked me to sign it and I did. While I was signing her cast, I asked her how she hurt her arm, expecting to hear something like she fell off of a bike or something.

"Rock Band". The girl broke her wrist playing "Rock Band". I shit you not. WTF?

Women. Gotta love 'em.


That's It. That's All I Got.

No comments: