9.28.2011

ROSH-A-HOMA

As I was rushing around catching up on errands, I couldn't help but to notice more than few people making the quick exit home.  At first I couldn't figure out why until I checked in on Twitter and Facebook and realized that it was Rosh Hashanah, one of the Jewish High Holy Days.  As soon as I saw it, the lightswitch clicked in my head and it all made sense now.

I knew that since it was late September, we were due for the Jewish holidays, but I always seem to forget when exactly it is and which holiday comes before the other.  I usually reach out to the CORNER BOYS for clarification on anything Jewish-related, but somehow I forgot to do so this time around.  Oh well, that means that Third Avenue will be lighter-than-usual foot traffic wise for the next two nights.  That's the nature of the beast when you live and work in Manhattan.  Oy vey.

On another note, I'm slowly getting better from my bout with strep throat, though taking these gigantic horse pills will no doubt choke me out if I'm not careful.  That being said, I still found myself running all over Manhattan today, ticking off my errand list for the bar and getting things ready for Pub Trivia.  Probably not the best remedy for such an affliction, but shit's gotta get done.

The MLB Playoffs kick off this Friday with the NY Yankees looking to host either Tampa Bay or Boston.  In any case, having the Yankees in the playoffs always spell $$$ for area bars as closet Yankee fans come out of the woodwork to cheer their team on.  Do the NY Yankees have a legitimate chance at securing the World Series trophy?  While I think they have a great shot at making it to the Series, I still hold out doubt at their prospects at actually winning the whole thing.  Philadelphia looks mighty tough to beat, and to be quite honest, I think Milwaukee could give the Yankees problems too.

While we find ourselves wrapped up in baseball and football fever, add to the mix NHL hockey as their season is set to kick off next week.  Hardcore hockey fans such as myself have been looking forward to this day since mid-June.  And with the NBA set to go into full-blown lockout mode for the whole season, this is the perfect storm of opportunity for the NHL to really put itself out there, exposure-wise.  And I, for one, couldn't be happier.  The NY Rangers kicks off the season with a series opener in Europe that will officially kick off the 2011-2012 schedule.

We are more than ready to host another fun-filled season of hockey, with the NHL Center Ice package back for another season.  This year, you can catch most of your games in HD, which is something you, the Third and Long patron have requested often over the year.

In the meantime, if you are fan of the Montreal Canadiens, please join us tomorrow night for the #Habs pre-season tilt vs Tampa Bay Lightning.

In the meantime, stay tuned to what should be an action-packed weekend of sports excitement!


Cheers!

No comments: