12.17.2012

A SURREAL WEEKEND...

As I write today's post, I am clearly in recovery mode from a long, yet great weekend with family and friends in Cleveland, OH.  It was a whirlwind weekend on my end, between the travel to multiple airports (Detroit, Akron/Canton, Charlotte, LGA), and spending quality time with the fam, let's face it- I'm wiped.   But in a good way.

Meanwhile, back in NYC, word has it that it was a weekend for the ages.  Starting with holiday office parties and the hijinks that always come with that, to a great NYU happy hour on Friday, it was a great way to start the weekend.

Then, of course, there was SANTACON on Saturday and from the photos I saw, it certainly looked like a crazy day.








Brew Crew Sunday led with a big win for the Dolphins and a crushing loss for Giants fans, and finally, the Christmas Party, to which unfortunately, I missed most of due to traveling.  I did get to catch the tail end of the festivities and had a good time with the people who were still there. I also want to thank everyone who donated gift cards to the families of Breezy Point, the Rockaways and Staten Island who were affected by  Hurricane Sandy.

A special mention goes out to the Robbinsville, NJ Fire Co. IAFF Local 3786, who made a significant donation to our fundraising efforts!  We always appreciate the Fire Department brotherhood, which stretches across the country and around the world.

So as surreal were the events and activities were at the bar, I would be remiss if I didn't make mention of another surreal event that took place- That would be the tragic shooting in Newtown, CT on Friday.

Words cannot describe my feelings on what took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School.  Such a senseless act and the loss of so many defenseless victims because of that senseless act.  Simply tragic and sad.  Especially during this time of the year, when we're supposed to be celebrating life and love with family, instead we find ourselves mourning over the loss of precious innocent lives.  I can't help but to ask myself, what's happened to our society?  I know we're better than this.  Aren't we?  Damn shame....

On that note, it's a wrap.


Cheers

No comments: