1.22.2009

Thursday, January 22, 2009

OSCAR NOMINATIONS ARE IN!

I woke up this morning to see that the long-awaited Oscar nominations are in. If you are a film lover as I am, this is one of the days that you look forward to. Of course, I had to see if my current fav, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE received any nominations (they got 10, including Best Picture). There were surprise nominations as well as omissions, but for the most part, the films I expected to receive nominations got them. You can check out the full list of nominations at OSCAR.COM, the official site of the Academy Awards (televised live at the bar on Sunday, February 22). Look out for our annual "Oscar Pool" where you can predict the winners on Oscar Night!

Last night's Pub Trivia night featured the State of California as its theme; We also had a newbie working the mic as MC; BRAD C. was doing an audition of sorts for the role to possibly replace our dear friend, OPIE CUNNINGHAM, who's moving to Australia in a few weeks.

Brad C (l.) and OPIE C. (r.)


I think that Brad may have discovered that it's a little more difficult than it looks to host a Trivia night, with unexpected glitches that often pop up (i.e. microphone problems, ipod snafus, etc.), but I have to give him credit; he didn't panic under pressure and his legion of friends didn't seem to mind either. We also had a special Blue Moon promotion and patrons took full advantage of discounted Blue Moon bottles, thanks to Coors Light! Overall, everyone seemed to have a good time and hopefully they will return for more Trivia fun.

I also had another "run-in" with a group of "gypsies" who tried to come in without ID's. These guys are affiliated with some of the local "palm reading" storefronts around the neighborhood and they annoy the hell out of me. For starters, they never seem to have any ID. And for the ones that do, they are either fakes or they have such generic names such as "John Smith", that you can't help but to think that something's up. And when they do come, they travel in packs and try to run game on the bartenders for free drinks or other shenanigans. So when this group tried to come in, they were turned away at the door; When they objected, they tried to say that they knew the manager and of course, I'm standing right there and I'd never seen this particular group before in my life. Then they tried to say that they knew the bartender and that they hung out with him on Dollar Draft Night (again a lie). I finally told them that they were lying and to get the hell out. They finally got the hint and left. Rat bastards.

Aside from that, it was a cool night.






Speaking of fun, next week's Triva Night will have a special theme in honor of the upcoming "Big Game": the SUPER BOWL. So study up on your Super Bowl trivia. There will also be a special prize for the occasion: a $50 Super Bowl Party Bar Tab, good for use during the Super Bowl at Third and Long!

TONIGHT: Bucket o'Lights Night (5pm-10pm), featuring buckets of Miller Lite, Coors Light or Michelob Light, 5/$15.00! Catch some great NCAA or NBA hoops on our many TV's or simply enjoy the company of your friends or co-workers!



Nuff Said

No comments: