5.06.2005

Friday, May 6, 2005

Word of the Day: kvetch \KVECH\, intransitive verb:
To complain habitually.


The fact that you are reading an update today indicates that I didn't make my flight. My ongoing saga w/Orbitz/Fed Ex ended about an hour ago w/Fed Ex. delivering my ticket for a 10 am flight at 9:49 am. While that in it of itself was ridiculous (they claim that they tried to deliver my tickets twice and I wasn't available); upon looking at the ticket it turns out that Orbitz had the wrong date on the tickets anyway. They had me flying out on the 26th instead of the 6th. So I would have been screwed anyway. So I've decided not to kvech over the snafu. It's not worth the agita. While I'm a bit pissed that I can't be home this weekend, i'll be there in spirit and deal with the weekend in my own way. At this point, you can't stress over the things you can't control. Moving on....

As expected, the feedback over the last letter I posted has sparked some intersting responses. I actually spit out my coffee reading one. Keep them coming- it's always cool to see various viewpoints on things.

So yesterday was Cinco de Mayo madness at Third and Long. Throughout the day I found myself running around trying to get things stocked and ready for the onslaught of revelers. I kept hinting to my day bartender to make sure to have extra supplies at the ready b/c he might get caught like a deer in headlights if he wasn't. Sure enough, at around 5pm, there was about twenty people hanging out enjoying Coronas. By 6pm, there was a mosh pit of drunken revelers jammed up like sardines in a can inside the bar and a line forming outside the bar. To call the situation a "clusterfuck" would be putting it mildly. We went through so much Corona, I think we were able to fund the yearly budget for Puebla, Mexico. The whole avenue was JAMMED! Reminded me of St. Patrick's Day without the cold, rainy weather. As the evening went on, the number of mummified bodies walking aimlessly throught the bar and on the avenue was so high, I felt like I was watching a rerun of "Night of the Living Dead". I had a young lady flash me with the hopes of letting her in; she apparently didn't feel like waiting in line. While I was appreciative of the free show, I of course, told her had she waited two more minutes, she would have gotten in anyway....

And what is it about days like Cinco de Mayo, St. Patrick's Day, New Year's Eve, etc. that brings out the amour in people? Couples making out left and right, some discreet, others blatenly out in the open. (I was just reminded of some drunken couple making out hot and heavy at the bar at 6pm) And there's always that one guy who goes from girl to girl, getting rejected at every turn until he finds that one who finally indulges him. Gotta give the guy some credit for plugging away; playing the averages. Bless his heart. I was also reminded about the drunken female Mike Tyson- she was about 5' 7", about 90lbs soaking wet, holding a brick; and for some reason, she'd walk up to you, stare at you a bit, then TWACK!! She punches you on the arm, let out a drunken snort, then stagger away. I'm not sure if she realized it or not, but those little pipe cleaner arms of hers packed a mean punch. Aside from her brief fits of physical fury, at least there were no fights, which is always good.

We also got a surprise visit from LAWYER D (better known as GOLDIE); He's one of our Sunday football regulars and a very good friend to the bar. He hasn't been around of late, due to his upcoming wedding. We at the bar wish him the very best of luck! He'll be back in the fold after his honeymoon. Speaking of weddings, for those of you in the know, this Saturday is the wedding of my co-manager, H.B.E. (His Boy Elroy). I'm sure he's running around like a chicken with his head cut off, doing last minute stuff. Good luck to him and his beautiful bride-to-be. Let's hope he gets good weather this weekend.

In all, it was a very good night for the bar. There are probably quite a few things that I missed out on, simply because it was so chaotic. Have to give my hats off to my staff who kept their cool in dealing with the chaos all night long. They worked their asses off and the complaints were minimal, which is always good. They did a good job and I'm proud of them.

That's it for today. I'm sure i'll have more to post later. Keep the feedback coming! It's Mother's Day this Sunday, so we will be closed. Make sure you remember to show luv to Mum.

NUFF SAID

2 comments:

Le Synge Bleu said...

I just looked it up for you and there's a last minute flight deal from Newark to Cleveland for $68 on Continental - you have to leave on Sat and return Mon or Tues and buy the ticket before midnight tonight. Go to http://www.continental.com/specials/sWeb.asp and look for flights from Newark. A link for Cleveland will pop up. I did a quick search and you can get there by 1:30pm on Sat. So if you still wanted to go to the memorial it looks like its doable.

Anonymous said...

props to your barback and bartenders. it was a mad house in there. felt bad for the barback though people were getting loud with him bc he was trying 2do his job and pick up their shit but noone would move for the kid even though he was being respectful of everyone. let him knock people out from now on