9.15.2005

Thursday, September 15, 2005

WHAT? YET ANOTHER PROTEST????



This week has been nothing but chaotic as the United Nations celebrate their 60th Anniverary. One of the drawbacks of our location is that we are fairly close to the U.N., so the traffic congestion (which is a nightmare to begin with) is unbearable. Whenever the U.N. assembly meets, the day is filled with police, Secret Service, foreign dignitaries, etc. clogging up traffic and making the commute and deliveries a complete torture. Then, to top things off, you get your occasional protests such as the one above, which brings traffic to a complete standstill. Loud drums, horns, chants, heckles....WTF! It's enough to make one drink..... And to think, we still have another week of this.

So I found myself "perusing" the latest copy of Vanity Fair (yes, I admit, I was drawn by the Paris Hilton cover). I must admit, I've never really looked at this magazine before (shocking but true). While leafing through the pages and pages of ads (I swear there are more ads than stories), I came across a column titled "My Stuff". I guess the premise of the column is to highlight a celebrity of some type and list the products that he/she uses. Now the featured "celeb" for this particular issue is some some designer named Marc Newson, a rather stuffy looking individual. I couldn't help but to laugh at some of his choices. So as the representative for the everyman, I've decided to compare his choices to mine.

GROOMING PRODUCTS:
shampoo: M.N.- a Vichy one./ S.F.- Pert
moisturizer: M.N.- Clarins/ S.F.- whatever's on sale
toothpaste: M.N.- "whatever little tubes they give me on airplanes"/ S.F.- whatever's on sale
soap: M.N.- "I like the soap I get from the Onsen in Japan. It's quite hard to get and it is like charcoal." / S.F.- Lever 2000 (if it's on sale)
razor: M.N.- "I don't shave- I use a trimmer" / S.F.- Gillette Good News-Pivot Plus

HOME:
where do you live?: M.N.- London / S.F.- Murray Hill
car: M.N.- Lamborghini Miura/ S.F.- subway

BEVERAGES:
bottled water: M.N.- Badoit/ S.F.- Poland Spring (or whatever's on sale)
coffee: M.N.- "I don't drink it except when I am in Italy-where it all tastes good."/ S.F.- Starbucks Carmel Macchiato ("if I have any money left on my Starbucks card")
beer: M.N.- Ebisu/ S.F.- Boddingtons (with a lime twist-just to be a dick)

CLOTHES:
sneakers: M.N.- Zvezdochka. "my design for Nike."/ S.F.- Saucony (they don't crush my stumpy, yet sexy toes)
watch: M.N.- Ikepod Hemipode/ S.F.- Classic Swatch
T-Shirt: M.N.- "the ones from my collection for G-Star" / S.F.- "the ones from my collection for Hanes"
sunglasses: M.N.- "I am a big Persol fan. I have a big collection of vintage ones."/ S.F.- $5 street fair knockoffs
briefcase: M.N.- "my 15 year old Valextra briefcase"/ S.F.- ???????

ELECTRONICS:
cellphone: M.N.- "hopefully-one of the ones I am designing. In Japan, I use Talby (KDDI). In the rest of the world..... I suffer."/ S.F.- LG (whatever the one Verizon stuck me with)
computer: M.N.- iMac/ S.F.- old piece of shit IBM Aptiva (circa 1996)
stereo: M.N.- A vintage quad./ S.F.- Sony Home Theatre

FAVORITE PLACE: M.N.- "several- Japan is high on the list"/ S.F.- Toronto, with NYC close behind.

NECESSARY EXTRAVAGANCE: M.N.- good champagne/ S.F.- a pedicure (yeah, this brotha tend to have some cuticle issues from time to time, alright?)

I could go on, but I think you catch my drift. This guy has it rough, huh?

That's it for today as I have a few errands to run. I hope you remember to stop by for our "AFTER WORK HAPPY HOUR" where we offer $4 Coronas, Michelob Lights, Sangria and Margaritas from 5pm-9pm! And if the U.N. traffic gets you in a tizzy, remember to count to ten, go to that "happy place" and keep on moving!

NUFF SAID

2 comments:

Unknown said...

fun entry. thanks for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the poor people are doing today?