10.13.2005

Thursday, October 13, 2005

ABOUT THAT ARTICLE....

I mentioned in a previous post that I was recently interviewed for an article about the changing face of Murray Hill for AM NEW YORK, a daily free paper that one would find people reading on the subway or bus. I got a couple of phone calls from friends congratulating me on the article and I hadn't even read it yet. So of course, I'm anxious and giddy with excitement (like a friggin' schoolgirl with a crush on Brad Pitt) as I throw on some sweatpants and a jacket so that I can run out and find this literary piece of excellence. I stepped out into the rain and searched up and down 3rd Avenue to find one of those little red boxes that would have the paper that i'm looking for.

After about 10 minutes of hoofing in the rain, I find such a box and immediately ripped the door open and grab about ten of the papers (no doubt to give out to friends and family). I get to the bar and plopped the stack on a table and began paging furiously for the article. Now I'm expecting a full page spread, based on the length of the interview I gave. Imagine my surprise when I finally get to the interview and it's only four little blurbs! Now I spoke with the interviewer for about a half an hour and our conversation covered a WIDE range of topics related to Murray Hill and the bar. He asked questions about the blog (which is how he tracked me down in the first place); I also spoke at length about the cast of characters in the blog (without giving real names, of course); we even talked about our bawdy Sunday afternoons (I even made mention about topless HASHBROWNIE when he asked about bizzare things I've come across over the years). None of which made the cut. I guess I know what it feels like to make the cutting room floor.

Hell, you woulda thought he'd at least include a link to the blog.....

At least the photo looked okay.

(if you want to check out the article for yourself, go to AM-NY.COM and click on the article "The Nightlife of Murray Hill", page 25. You'll need Adobe Acrobat to see it in its full glory)

Last night the "Hill" was D-E-A-D. There's no other way to describe it. With the combination of the monsoon rains and the Jewish holidays (I think it's Yom Kippur this week), no one was out. At one point I walked by CALIENTE CAB CO. at about 9:30pm and there was no one, and I mean NO ONE in the restaurant. All of the bars were pretty much empty, including ours. I think the high point for us was maybe 10 people at once. It is what it is, what are you going to do? You take the good with the bad.

Tonite is After Work Happy Hour ($4 Coronas/ Michelob Light/ Sangria and Frozen Margaritas all night). Stop by and if you are lucky, i'll autograph your paper....

NUFF SAID

7 comments:

Swa said...

You need to give Amamda Farinacci a heads up and let her know she better jump on the Big Daddy gravy train before Angelina Jolie or Beyonce catches a whiff.... Once that does, i'm not responsible for what happens next. And don't tell Jay-Z; he can be a bit sensitive about these things.

Anonymous said...

the reporter is probaly just like everyone else and really wasnt paying attention to anything you said. talk to me when you hit the big time and get a spread in the daily news.

mr. lifeguard

Swa said...

Mr. Lifeguard; stop hating. you're yesterday's news....no matter what paper you showed up in.

Anonymous said...

How you can write about the famous hashbrownie flashing that are as consistent as well the fact that Naploean will yell BARE every 2 seconds

Anonymous said...

I meant NOT WRITE ABOUT HE FLASHINGS

Anonymous said...

SwanDad on the cutting room floor when referring to $eX. Doesn't the reporter know that $EX $ell$ ?!?!?! oh wait--it's a free paper...

Anonymous said...

what about mention of the great DANCE OFF of 2005....I believe it was T-Bill and Friend of Hashbrownies...now that was some funny shi$