8.10.2006

Thursday, August 10, 2006

VINTAGE BARKEEP

I came across an interesting article in yesterday's NEW YORK DAILY NEWS about a 90-year old bartender who still serves up great tasting martinis to this day. I thought i'd share it with you since this is a bar-related blog. You can check out the article HERE

The bar got a visit from the softball team of TUTTLE AGENCY and their so-called "MVP", NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. They apparently had a playoff game against the worst team in their league.... and lost. So the team stopped by the bar to drown their sorrows (although I don't think they were really hurting). SMURFETTE and ANGEL were planning on meeting the team at the Rodeo Bar (their original destination) after the match, but I guess they didn't get the memo and ended up walking down to the Rodeo while the TUTTLE team strolled into our place. After a few anxious moments of confusion, everyone ended up meeting and got their post-game celebration going.

During this time, I was able to meet some of the members of the team. I'd met a few of the members before in the past, and after meeting the rest of the team, I realized that they were pretty cool. How in the hell do they put up with NAPOLEON on a daily basis? Hmmmm.... only God knows.

JON CUSACK and STIFFLER were also in attendance last night, hanging out for a couple of after-dinner cold ones when they were blind-sided by their favorite patrons, the ECUADORIAN GIRLS. They are the official Wednesday night groupies of the bar. Now in the past, whenever these girls came around, the boys would make faces and cringe, as if someone had yanked out their toenails. However, last night, after the girls arrived and the boys went through their usual rant about how annoying they were, guess who was doing some undercover "canoodling" with the same ECUADORIANS? Now maybe the lights were a little low and such, but I could have sworn I saw some more-than-friendly hand holding going on. I'm just saying....

There was also an interesting altercation taking place at one of the bars down the block. Not quite sure what took place inside the bar, but all I know is that some petite chick was thoroughly pissed off at some guy and was going at him like an episode of the JERRY SPRINGER show. She was yelling, screaming, charging at him; crazy stuff. She even took out her gum and whipped it at his face, that's how pissed off she was. The guy, to his credit, stood by and didn't try to retaliate in any way. The bouncers literally had to pick her up and throw her in a cab. Very entertaining.

*My new favorite show: CASH CAB on the Discovery Channel. It's a game show that takes place in a NYC cab. The passengers answer pop trivia questions en route to their destination and win cold hard cash. Very entertaining, with great views of Manhattan streets. You may find me on this show someday (if I ever decide to leave Murray Hill, of course).

TONIGHT: LITE NITE THURSDAYS ($4.00 all LIGHT beers, beginning at 5pm). Catch the Yankees/White Sox as well as PRE-SEASON NFL (Indianapolis vs St. Louis). SEXY BLONDE and THE ITALIAN STALLION are working behind the stick tonite.

See you there!


NUFF SAID

No comments: