8.21.2008

Thursday, April 21, 2008

MORE RENOVATIONS, FACEBOOK AND BROTHER JIMMY'S

Before going to bed, I figured I better pop in an entry now because Thursday figures to be a very busy day at the ranch. With renovations headed down the home stretch, the place will be flush with activity starting very early in the morning.

RENOVATIONS

One thing I have to say about all of the renovations, it's really thrown my sleeping patterns into a loop. It's bad enough that I'm used to going to bed at around 5am. Now I find myself home most nights by 9-10pm and after a light meal, ready to fall asleep almost immediately. You'd think that would allow for much-needed hours of sleep, right? WRONG. It seems that I am so used to being awake that I find myself sleeping LESS than before the renovations started. I'll fall asleep for maybe 1-2 hours, then wired and wide awake for most of the night, until my body falls into its normal pattern at around 5am.

Then with contractors arriving early in the morning to start their work (8-9am on most days), that means that I have to be up to let them in. Then the whole day starts all over again. Brutal.

The good news is that the light is at the end of the tunnel- we're almost there. Yay. Maybe I can finally get some real sleep!


FACEBOOK

It seems that my Facebook account has been blowing up with activity lately. I've gotten re-connected with former students, former college classmates and even a great buddy from high school! While I'm totally digging the concept that Facebook presents (more so than MySpace), eventually one negative aspect has to happen sooner or later: "What do you do when someone you didn't like in the past requests to be your friend?"

I'm sure all of you Facebook members have faced this dilemma yourselves at one point in time. I'm finding myself having to deal with this more and more. Some individuals I simply put on ignore- I dug through my mental rolodex and found that we never really connected back in the day or we just didn't like each other. But then what do you do with the ones with whom you don't remember that well? "Did you leave on good terms?" "Do you really know this person?" "Was this a past hook-up?" Questions like these begin zipping through your brain while you hesitate pressing the "Accept" button. Now this has become a stressful moment and Facebook wasn't meant to be a stressful activity. Or was it? What to do, what to do.


BROTHER JIMMY'S

It looks like Murray Hill has gotten even more crowded with the addition of NYC stalwart, BROTHER JIMMY'S BBQ. An Upper East Side staple for many years, this honkey-tonk, ACC-lovin' bar/restaurant has found itself spreading its wings past few years. It has recently opened up in Grand Central Terminal, near Madison Square Garden, and now, here in Murray Hill. I find myself checking out the new outpost tonight (Thursday) as I've been invited to participate in the ESPN Radio FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT PARTY. Apparently I will be drafting a fantasy football team with 99 other lucky participants with the hopes of fielding a team strong enough to get me a trip to the SUPER BOWL!

Not sure what I am looking forward to more: A chance at winning a trip to the Big Game, meeting some ex-football players and ESPN personalities, or the open bar. Hmmmmm.....


Gotta take time to thank MR. LOW-KEY for plying me with grub this week- it's keeping me from blowing cash at the take-out while the bar's closed for renovations. Though I am totally convinced that he's using me as a cullinary guinea pig, I ain't complaining. Giddy-up!



Nuff Said

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you can rule out the "past hook-up" option. Come on Swandad, quit kidding us.

B to the...

Hey, got my shirt, just waiting for a grand occasion to bust out your fifth grade picture.

Swa said...

break it out homeslice! Dying to see it on ya!