8.25.2009

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

YET ANOTHER REASON WHY THE BIG APPLE ROCKS....

For the past few months, I've been waxing nostalgic about wanting to make that move up north. I mean NORTH, like in Canada north. I've been feeling that way for awhile now, for reasons that I've yet to come up with. I just have this affinity for it that simply cannot be explained.

So why am I still here in New York? It's quite simple, really. The Big Apple has everything that a single person could possibly want. It has style. It has culture. It has diversity. It has grit. It goes by its own pace and not of any other city I've ever been to. Where else on any given day/night can you find whatever your heart desires, 24 hours a day? Really.

And that's what has kept me here. Every time I leave NYC, I find myself comparing the next city to the Big Apple. Probably not the fairest thing to do, but realistically speaking, what else do I know? I've lived more than half of my life here. I've been to Toronto and Montreal and while both cities are cool in their own right.... they fall just below the Big Apple. And until I find a place that offers what NYC has to offer, day in-day out, it's hard to make that move. Here's an example of what I mean:

Looking in this week's Time Out New York magazine, if you go to the "Music" section, here's a sampling of who's playing in NYC.... on a TUESDAY NIGHT!

*Blink-182/Weezer (Jones Beach)
*Collective Soul (Fillmore New York)
*Counting Crows/Augustana (Hammerstein Ballroom)

*Coheed and Cambria/Heaven and Hell (WaMu Theatre at MSG)

*Nine Inch Nails/ The Horrors (Terminal 5)

*Queen Latifah (Nokia Theatre)

*Brittany Spears/Ciera/Kristina DeBarge (MSG)

*Roy Ayers (jazz- Blue Note)


And that's just the bigger names on deck around the city... on a Tuesday night! You're not going to find those options available in Cleveland, OH, Montreal or Toronto for that matter. I defy anyone to match it.

So if this is happening on a Tuesday night... just imagine what's happening on the weekends. And that's my point. It's difficult to walk away from a city, teeming with options like NYC has to offer. So until I can find a city that can match up to what the Big Apple has to offer on a consistent basis.... it looks like I will be here for a little while longer.


Nuff Said


No comments: