10.20.2009

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

COFFEE... DOES A BODY GOOD!

I was having a conversation with FIRE MARSHALL ED yesterday while waiting for the NY Yankees/Anaheim Angels to begin when I suggested we take a quick walk to Dunkin' Donuts to get a cup of coffee. While we were walking over to the spot, I noticed the team bus for the San Jose Sharks parked out in front of the Affinia Dumont hotel. The Dumont is a popular hotel for the NHL hockey teams so I wasn't surprised to see the gaggle of autograph-seekers standing out front.

As we walked closer to the hotel (Dunkin' Donuts is right next door to the hotel), I noticed recently-traded star DANY HEATLEY walking towards Lexington Avenue, trying to hail a cab, followed by a group of autograph-seekers. I pointed him out to the FIRE MARSHALL and we both were mildly surprised at how big the guy was.

We walked into Dunkin' Donuts and ordered our coffee when another young up-and-coming star of the San Jose Sharks walked in: DEVIN SETOGUCHI. Now the FIRE MARSHALL was oblivious to who he was, but yours truly, being the hockey guru that he is, knew who he was right away. He ordered a coffee and a donut and while he was doing that, I looked outside and noticed the throng of autograph seekers forming outside the cafe. I turned to him and said, "Here, let me get that for you. You're going to have your hands full when you get outside". He tried to give me money and I said "Don't worry about it. Have a good game." I think he might have been surprised that I knew who he was. And sure enough, he was swamped by the autograph seekers as soon as he walked outside the door.

Oh, as for the game? He ended up scoring 2 goals and an assist as the Sharks destroyed the hometown Rangers, 7-3. That must have been one good cup of coffee.

TONIGHT: Dollar Draft Madness, featuring $1 mugs, Bud/Bud Light (4pm-close). YANKEES vs ANGELS (8pm)!

That's It. That's All I Got.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a very good story.

B to the...