After the long fun day that we all know as BREW CREW SUNDAY, I finally made the trek up to Montreal, Quebec Canada. I feel a bit sluggish, to be honest with you because I stayed up all night after getting out late from Sunday's events. So going all night without sleep is catching up to me. Being the nervous traveler that I am, I'm always worried that I will overpack or forget something that I will need. Sure enough, I forgot my camera charger, so now I have a dead battery, a discovery I made while trying to take a photograph of the old Montreal Olympic Stadium from my seat on the plane and the camera had a hard time opening.
So first things first: I made the trek with no problems at all. Well, almost. I made my airport shuttle with plenty of time (check). No problems with check-in at the airport (check). Landed in Montreal with no problem AND cleared customs with no problems (check, check). Got my car rental (a Ford Fusion, pretty impressive little vehicle, if I may add- check). THEN..... the fun begins.
Montreal (for those of you out of the loop) is located in Quebec, a quaint little provence in Canada where everyone embraces two things: Hockey and anything French. So that being said, practically everything is written in French. Street signs (Rue), maps, radio stations, etc. French, French and more French. WTF? So me being the proud macho male that I am, attempt to figure out the way to my hotel. What should have taken about ten minutes ended up being an hour and a half journey around the city of Montreal. It's a beautiful city, by the way, albeit slightly confusing when you don't know where the hell you're going or have any sense of which way is North, South, East or West. And half of the streets are one-way, which drove me batty.
Eventually, however, I was able to locate the hotel (Hotel Place D'Armes). Let me first say that this place is GORGEOUS!. Very sleek lobby; very modernistic touch to what was formerly a bank or an office building or something. I got lucky in that a room was available right away (check-in wasn't until 3pm) and the room they gave me.... holy crap. Talk about nice! Here's a couple of photos I was able to take before my camera died......
Let's just say this ain't your momma's Motel 6!
After taking a quick nap, I ventured out to see if I could do a bit of sight-seeing. Ended up at the Bell Centre, home of the MONTREAL CANADIANS, the NHL's version of the NEW YORK YANKEES. One thing I picked up on right away: Everyone here LOVES the Canadians; From hats, scarves, flags taped to cars- hell, even old ladies walking around with the "Le Habs" logo on their neckerchiefs. They are serious about their hockey.
Had a late lunch at one of the sports pubs connected to the BELL CENTRE. La Cage Aux Sports.
While I was there, I sampled a MOLSON EXPORT ALE and a RICCARD'S RED (kinda like a Killian's Red, but a bit better). Chatted it up with the very friendly female bartender.... cute too, though she had some thick eyelashes going on. As a matter of fact, I noticed a lot of females here with rather thick, bushy eyebrows. What's up with that? And bubble-butts seem to be the norm. Hmmmmm... Stay tuned.
That's it for now; Will try and post yesterday's funny pics later this evening, but first I must venture out again and let the city feel my presence.
Don't forget about MUG NIGHT MADNESS with $2.00 Domestic Mugs and $1.00 Bud/Bud Light and Coors/Coors Light mugs, ALL NIGHT LONG!
TOMORROW: My date with destiny. And no, NAPOLEON, this doesn't mean strip clubs. :)
Nuff Said
No comments:
Post a Comment