11.17.2008

Talk About Small World....

In the past I've written about the virtues of FACEBOOK, (better known as the best thing since.....well, me). It's easy to use, great utility tool to meet up with folks, set up gatherings or locate long lost friends. It's especially great for the latter, as I recently found out first hand.

Locating friends on FACEBOOK is a lot like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon; You come across one person who turns out to be friends with someone you used to know way back when, and so on and so on. The roundabout connections are fascinating. I've also been able to re-connect with long lost friends from college and in some cases high school. One connection in particular was interesting. Growing up in Cleveland, Ohio I had a lot of friends that ran in various circles. Public school friends, private school friends, work friends, friends from the local Y, etc.

Out of all of those people, I was a part of a close-knit crew of three; we met in high school and hit it off instantly. Now I went to a very small, private high school in Cleveland Heights (Lutheran East H.S.), a subarb of Cleveland. It was so small, that my senior class had 25 people in it (the school had 125 overall that year). There was Greg (the athlete), Terrance (the intellectual), and me (clown/party animal). We were thick as thieves and always looked out for one another.

As things turned out, after graduation, we all went our seperate ways, following our own paths. Somehow we ended up losing touch with one another over the years and from time to time I'd think about them and wonder what they were up to.

Then FACEBOOK came along and lo and behold: the connections were remade! Ironically enough, one of the crew of three, Terrance, is now living here in NYC of all places! He went to college in Georgia and became a much respected expert in music and now hosts his own radio show here in NYC. Talk about a small world! I haven't seen the guy in over twenty years and now he lives less than twenty minutes away! We plan on getting together in the near future to catch up on old times and I thank FACEBOOK for making that happen. (by the way, you can catch my friend's show HERE)

Granted, I still get that occasional friend request from that person that I simply don't remember or didn't care for in the past, but those are few and far between, compared to all of the great relationships I've been able to reconnect with.

Thanks Facebook.



Nuff Said

No comments: