7.19.2011

FILE UNDER "YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS UP"...

We are on Day 4 of our current heatwave (otherwise known as "Swamp-Ass Week '11) and the casualties are starting to mount.  What were once happy faces walking about are now replaced with sullen, miserable ones, desperate to beat the heat by all means necessary.  This is the kind of heatwave that makes the nicest person irritable, so imagine someone who's a natural crank?  I bet there will be a surge in police blotter reports over the next couple of days.  I'm just sayin'.

Just saw the funniest thing.  I'm sitting at the bar doing paperwork and I look out the window and see THE PROFESSOR, out in the hot sun selling newspapers to drivers as they sit at the light.  I've written about him in the past; he's a 97-year old former comedian/actor who goes by the name of Professor Irwin Corey.  Nice old guy, a bit "out there" if you know what I mean, but hey if you live to be 97, you can be as "out there" as you want.  He drives us nuts because he's usually mere seconds from getting run over by a truck because he's so oblivious to what's going on around him.  Reminds me of Mr. Magoo.

So he's out there, peddling his wares when a guy drives up in a tan convertible Bentley, with the license plate  "LIVIN XL" on it.  THE PROFESSOR walks over to him and they start chattin it up.  Now they're BFF's   Guy driving a Bentley, you figure he's good for at least something green, right?  One dollar, a fiver, hell even a sawbuck.  I mean, the guy IS  "LIVIN XL", right?  So when light changes, he digs into his pocket.... and gives THE PROFESSOR...

A quarter.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Mr. "LIVIN XL" gives our dear friend 25 cents.  He then tips his bejazzled baseball cap to THE PROFESSOR and drives off.  I'm kicking myself for not having my camera with me as it was a priceless moment.  File under "You Can't Make This Up".

Stay cool my friends.


DOLLAR DRAFT MADNESS TONIGHT!  $1 Bud/Bud Light mugs ALL NIGHT LONG!


Cheers!

No comments: